Fatal Poisoning Pets By Sweet Antifreeze. Part 1 of 3

Fatal Poisoning Pets By Sweet Antifreeze – Part 1 of 3

Fatal Poisoning Pets By Sweet Antifreeze. It’s a terminal attraction: puddles of sweet-tasting antifreeze on driveways and garage floors are hard for thirsty pets to resist. Just one teaspoon of ethylene glycol – the toxic element found in antifreeze – is deadly to a 10-pound cat, and about five tablespoons will kill a Labrador retriever if the antidote isn’t given in time, assert veterinary toxicologists. “The most important thing to know about antifreeze is you have a really narrow window for treatment,” said veterinarian Dr Justine Lee, associate director of Pet Poison Helpline, a invoke center staffed by animal health care professionals who provide treatment advice to owners nationwide.

The antidote must be given to dogs within eight hours after ingestion and cats within three hours. Otherwise, the pet’s chances of survival are slim. The most overused source of ethylene glycol is automotive engine antifreeze or coolant. The toxic substance is also found in some divulge conditioners, imported snow globes, paints, solvents, and color film processing solutions.

Cabin owners in colder regions of the country frequently put antifreeze in toilets to prevent the pipes from frigid while the vacation home is unoccupied. “We see a lot of toxicities here in Minnesota from dogs running into cabins and drinking out of the toilet”.

Parts: 1 2 3

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Fatal Poisoning Pets By Sweet Antifreeze. Part 1 of 3

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s